*ARC provided by Author*
Beware of Spoilers!
Heroine (Jessica): 1/5
Hero (Oscar): 2/5
Average score: 2 Stars
Best Quote: “Jessica, will you marry me? And don’t say no because then I’d wish that I hadn’t just dodged a bullet.”
Worst Quote: “Her bright black eyes were filled with fire”
This romance is similar to ‘Marriage for Convenience’ stories with a slight twist…the H is an undercover cop and h agreed to marry him to save her brother from a druglord. This was a refreshing twist which I enjoyed.
I found it slightly annoying when the POVs would switch in the same paragraph as, more than once, it led me to form negative opinions of the h. I presumed that the h had a big ego and loved her image a little too much because of statements like the following:
- “Jessica Maddison was the kind of woman who made people to catch their breath when they looked at her.”
- “She swept her long, lustrous hair back and glanced at her face in the mirror.”
- “Even the girls who worked in the salon turned to admire her – the way her hair swung ever so slightly caressing her trim waist, the flare of her hips and the way her dress accentuated her curves and stopped just above her knees, forcing people’s eyes down to her shapely calves and delicate feet in sky blue Louboutins.”
- “She looked stunning, and she had no idea of the impact she had just made on the man”
- “She freed her breasts, laying them open to the sun, aware of their beauty.”
I like confident romance heroines but I find it difficult to relate to h’s who come across as vain.
I didn’t feel any chemistry between the h and H after they got married.
This is the quickest I have ever read of a h ‘falling in love’ with a H and I have read A LOT of romances!
A very quick read…perhaps a little superficial?